Yin Yoga Teacher Training June 2022
Yin Yoga is a quiet and meditative practice that focuses on long holds in passive postures. As a style of practice it has become increasingly popular and a wonderful alternative to dynamic (yang) forms of yoga. Our Yin training is delivered by Yin Yoga teacher Stephen Byrne who in addition to studying Yin Yoga with Paul Grilley and Victor Chng is an experienced Yoga Therapist. He has an extraordinary ability to communicate the anatomy of Yin to Yoga teachers in a meaningful way. Our training now has more resources to support your journey! Currently we offer two training modules as below.
* Module One: Yin Yoga Foundations
* Module Two: Yin/ Yang
Both trainings are held in Perth with online elements. Each Module is held over two partial weekends. Our next training dates are:
Module One Yin Yoga Foundations:
June 17-19, 2022
Module Two: Yin/Yang:
Module One: Yin Yoga
Course Overview: Yin Yoga is a passive and quiet practice, which gently stretches the connective tissue of hips, thighs, pelvis and lower spine. Different from Yang practices, Yin Yoga places emphasis on relaxing the muscles and holding the postures for longer periods of time to encourage the response of fibrous and tough structures such as the connective tissues. The benefits of this practice include the promotion of deep relaxation, improvement of flexibility and serve as a complement to yang forms of exercise. In addition to that, a Yin class environment prepares the body and encourages the cultivation of a still and meditative state of mind. “It is not muscular strength that gives us the feeling of ease and lightness in the body, it is the flexibility of the joints, of the connective tissue” – Grilley (2002). In this course you will develop a thorough understanding of basic concepts and benefits of Yin Yoga, characteristics of Yin & Yang nature, value of a passive practice, fundamental review of concepts such as elasticity, plasticity, tension and compression. Through the practice and analysis of different yin yoga sequences, which target different areas of the body, the course will provide an understanding of the different yin postures and enable you to design different sequencing structures.
- Understand theory and basic concepts behind the practice of Yin Yoga.
- Be introduced to basic anatomy related to Yin Yoga.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the differences between Yin and Yang practices of yoga.
- Appreciate the transformative and subtle values of a contemplative practice.
- Understand the nature of yin practice, yin class environment and incorporate elements of yin yoga into classes.
- Fluency in the fundamental repertoire of Yin Yoga postures.
- Ability to structure a self/beginners/intermediate class sequence based on these fundamental postures.
- Capacity to verbally guide students into postures safely and effectively.
- Understand the importance of relaxation and how this can be progressively taught to students.
Assessment & CPD Points
Attendance and participation in online & in person activities.
-Pre training Zoom meeting.
-Live streamed class recordings for home practice (4 classes).
-Online mini lecture content to support your practice & teaching.
-In person highly practical workshops to help you successfully teach Yin Yoga.
BONUS: Copy of Yoga Space’s 2 hour Pranayama theory and practice lecture with Stephen!
17 June 2022- 05:30 – 07:00 PM – Friday
18 June 2022- 03:00 – 08:00 PM – Saturday
19 June 2022- 12:00 – 04:00 PM – Sunday
Module Two: Meridian Series & Yin / Yang Practice (dates TBC)
Course Overview: It is an essential pre-requisite that you have completed module one “Introduction to Yin Yoga Training & Practice (Level 1)” prior to attending module two training. Although many people nowadays are attracted to yoga as a way of increasing levels of fitness and flexibility, few have been exposed to other aspects of the yoga practice. Yin Yoga emphasises the deeper tissues of the hips, thighs, pelvis and lower spine, whereas a yang practice emphasises the muscles and circulatory system leaving one alert and refreshed. Once the body is prepared and energetically balanced through asana practice, the main focus is to achieve steadiness of mind through conscious breath control and meditative awareness. In this course you will develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and benefits of Yin Yoga and be able to design a Yin / Yang class to suit beginners and more advanced practitioners. In addition, you will develop a basic understanding of the energetic meridian and chakra system, practice pranayama and meditation techniques. Learning Outcomes:
- Understand comprehensive concepts of Yin theory and practice.
- Understand basic concepts of the Meridian Theory and its application for the practice of Yin Yoga.
- Demonstrate knowledge on Meridian Theory, including its physical, energetic and mental qualities and how they underpin the practice of Yin Yoga.
- Understand the value of introducing a dynamic flow (Yang) into Yin practices.
- Develop skills to construct a sequence and teach a Yin / Yang class.
- Understand the core concepts of the chakra system and its influence on physical body, emotions and thought.
- Appreciate the transformative qualities of pranayama and meditation.
Email to request a place